Here are 5 things to do before you try to sell your house. I’m not talking about hiring a realtor, cleaning or staging a home but these actual larger items can break a deal when you sell your home. So before you do anything, look into the 5 items discussed in the video below.
These 5 items tend to be pretty costly to repair and can definitely deter buyers from wanting to buy your house. Due to that, you’ll want to review each item and make any necessary repairs to ensure that you can sell your home and sell it fast.
- Roof – A new roof is very expensive. Buyers want to know that they are getting a home that isn’t going to cost them a lot of money so a damaged roof can definitely cost you a deal. Call a roofer and get a free roof inspection before putting your home on the market.
- Foundation – Look for cracks or foundation problems. These problems can be very costly. Know that your home is in good shape before selling it.
- Furnace/AC – A new furnace is pretty expensive. Make sure you’ve at least serviced and cleaned your furnace so it will perform well in your home inspection.
- Hot Water Heater – These really aren’t that expensive but a new hot water heater is a relief for a new buyer. If you have a 15 year old unit, consider an upgrade.
- Carpet – Extremely worn and stained carpet will not show well. You can offer a carpet allowance but it’s often cheaper to just replace the carpet so your home will show in the best light and the buyers won’t have to worry about doing the work.
Paying attention to the above 5 things can help you sell your home for more money and in less time. Add in a deep cleaning, great staging, professional real estate photography, and a Realtor® who knows the marketing and you’ll have no trouble selling your home.
*Andy Hawbaker is a licensed Realtor with 8z Real Estate in Windsor, CO. He serves home sellers in Fort Collins, Loveland, Windsor, Greeley and surrounding areas.*